Sunday, August 15, 2010

I am

In John 8:58, Jesus says to the Jews questioning him, "Truly, truly I say to you, before Abraham was, I am." I may have never known the meaning of this statement, the depth of Jesus' words, without the guidance of my pastor. Jesus was making a bold statement of his deity here. I AM was the covenant name of GOD used by the Israelites in Exodus 3:14. Right now my pastor is preaching through the book of John, and I feel like I am learning so much about the nature of Jesus. For the past month or so, the words "I AM" have come to mind on a regular basis. Jesus says he is many things in the bible. A few examples are: I am the living bread; from above; the light of the world; the door; the good Shepherd; the Son of God; the resurrection and the life; the way, the truth, and the life; the true vine. As I have gone through the tragedy of having a miscarriage, I have found an unexplainable peace in the truth of Gods word. Nothing happens apart from the will of God, nothing takes him by surprise. Jesus is the good Shepard, who cares for his flock. John 10:27-29 says "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me,  is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand." I am in the hand of Jesus Christ, and he loves me. There is NOTHING that can snatch me from his hand, and there is no safer place for me to be. I find great comfort in this truth. I go through nothing alone, Jesus is always holding me. Jesus has ALWAYS ruled sovereignly over the earth, and always will. Without knowing Christ, I'm not sure how I could have dealt with this tragedy. I'm sure I would be in a poor, poor pitiful me mood for who knows how long, questioning why things didn't go my way and why God would do this to me. I haven't felt that way at all, from the first sign of a problem I knew that no matter the outcome, God was in control, and had a perfect plan. God would use this for my good, and his glory, and I can already see the he has. Just a few words that come to mind when I think of who Jesus is are creator, Lord, ruler, and Savior. He is the alpha and omega, the beginning and the end, the lamb who was slain before the foundation of the earth was laid, Jesus is the great I am!

1 comment:

  1. I am so blessed to know you! You have encouraged my path with Jesus. We Love You!

    ReplyDelete