Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The power of words

Words can have a great effect on people, both in a good way, and bad. I have experienced a wide spectrum of words in the past week. Words that have caused me to feel anxiety, fear, devastation, pain, anger, resentment, love, joy, appreciation. These are just a tip of the emotions I have felt over this past week. I'm reminded all the more of the power of words, both my words to others, and their words to me. I want to guard my tongue, and be aware of my words before I speak. I know I cannot do this alone, in James 3:7-8 it says "For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue." I am capable of no good on my own, so I rely fully on God to continually change my heart and mold me into the image of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to lead me with his Spirit. One way he does this is by the reading of his words, so lets see what the bible has to say about words.
  1. Prov 12:18- There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
  2. Matt 15:18- But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person.
  3. Matt 12:34-37 You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of  the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
  4. Col 3:8- But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.
  5. Eph 4:29- Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
  6. Prov 16:24- Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.
  7. Prov 13:3- Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.
  8. Prov 18:21- Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.
  9. Prov 21:23- Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.
  10. Prov 10:19- When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.
  11. James 1:26- If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.
  12. Prov 17:9- Whoever covers an offense seeks love, but he who repeats a matter separates close friends.
  13. Prov 15:4- A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit. 
  14. Prov 17:27-  Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding.
  15. Prov 15:1- A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
  16. Prov 25:11- A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.
  17. Prov 18:13- If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame.
  18. Luke 6:45- The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
  19. Prov 15:2- The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouths of fools pour out folly.
  20. Prov 29:20- Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him.
  21. Prov 17:28- Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.
  22. Prov 11:12- Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding remains silent.
  23. Prov 27:6- Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy.
  24. James 1:19-20- Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
  25. Psalm 19:14- Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.
This is not an exhaustive list, this is just some of what the bible has to say about our words. As I reflect on these words, I am reminded of just how powerful our words can be. As I deal with issues in my life, I seek to act in a way that honors God and brings glory to his name. I do not want to respond in anger, for that doesn't produce the righteousness of God. I do not want to speak words that are not useful for the building of his kingdom.
God, help me to bridle my tongue, to remain silent and still until you tell me to move. Help me to seek your guidance, and the counsel of my brothers and sisters in Christ, and to confront every situation in my life in a way that Christ is exalted. Use me, and use what others mean for harm for good, that I may become more like Christ and that you may be glorified. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment