Thursday, August 5, 2010

Mourning

Today has been one of the worst days I have experienced in my life. Ironically, today also happens to be a celebration of one of the happiest days of my life. You see, 9 years ago today, my now husband asked me to be his girlfriend. 9 years ago today, my now husband told me those three little words what would come to mean so much, I love you. I should be happy, and reflecting on the wonderful place that God has brought us, despite our great unfaithfulness to him, he chose us. He turned our hearts of stone to flesh, and caused us to walk in his ways. He brought us here, to this day, a day that I could probably only get through by the grace that my precious Savior has shown me. You see, today, I lost a child.
Today I was 15 weeks pregnant. I knew that something was wrong a few weeks ago, but I'll blog about that another day. This morning at 4:10 am, I started to feel a great deal of pain, much like that of labor. I was having contractions, and slight bleeding. I knew that I was going to miscarry, and that the er could do nothing for me except take all of my money. So I suffered through contractions until I could get to the Dr office, which was at 8am. He checked me, and said that my cervix was still closed, but I was contracting and he couldn't find a heartbeat. I already had an ultrasound scheduled, so I went ahead and drank my water and waited my turn. Ultrasounds are supposed to be a happy occasion, but today, it ripped my world as I know it apart. I could see the baby, but there was no movement, no heartbeat. I asked the tech if that was my baby, but she wouldn't answer me. I know she was just doing her job, but I wanted to know if that was the last time I would see my baby. I broke down immediately because I knew that her answer meant nothing but bad news. There was no fetal heartbeat at all. She walked out of the room for a minute to call the Dr, and left the pictures up on the screen. I could see the baby, and it looked like a baby, not just a tiny speck. I could see the head. This brought me comfort, and pain. As I made my way back to the Dr office, I knew what was coming. I did not have a viable pregnancy, and he gave me my options. I wanted to go home and let this happen as naturally as possible. I was in extreme pain (about 8 hours of labor, with no meds, and no baby at the end of it all) so he gave me some pain medication, and a medicine to help the miscarriage pass sooner. A little while after I came home, I have a few gushes that seemed like what was my miscarriage. After about an hour, I was in extreme pain again, and I couldn't keep anything down. I had thrown up all day, and I started feeling weak. I went back in, and he said the baby hadn't passed yet. He gave me some staydol, and removed the "tissue" in hopes that I wouldn't have to do a d/c. He also gave me a shot to stop my nausea. He was a wonderful doctor, and I was very happy with the way he handled things today. I'm still in pain, so I'm not sure the real emotions have fully set in. I know its not the end of the world. I know that I have 2 beautiful children that I am thankful for, and that I can have more. But today, I am mourning the loss of my 3rd child. As I mourn, I pray that I only look above and seek comfort from my dear Savior and his word. I pray that I handle this in a way that brings glory to my God, for I know that he is a sovereign God who works all things for the good of his children. Although I may never understand the will of God, I will seek him in this time, and trust in him whole heartedly as my rock and my redeemer.

4 comments:

  1. Debbie you are very special to the Lord, he loves you with all his heart. He has his arms around you right now and is holding you tightly, all of you! Hold Kaylee and Bubba tightly when you can. Everyone loves you Debbie and you are all in our prayers! - Kevin and Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that you're going through this...I wish there was something I could do to heal your pain but I know that is impossible. all you can do is turn to our Lord and your doing just that. he will get you through this. I love you and will be praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Debbie,

    So very sorry to hear about your precious little one. Wish I could give you a big hug now. We know God controls these things but sometimes we want to know "why" He chooses us for this suffering.

    I had a very similar experience when I was around 15 weeks pregnant with my second child. I felt the whole pregnancy like there was a cloud over me I could not explain. I did not seem as excited to share my news as with baby #1 with anyone. I thought maybe since it was child #2, it was no longer a novel experience.

    I went in to the OB, drank my water and the ultrasound tech could not find the heart beat or see much. The doc came in and was very caring. He offered immediate D&C which I refused since my hubby was not there. Over the weekend I began severe cramping passing tissue which did not look like anything. Had to have D&C Monday. Cried hard when the papers I signed said "incomplete abortion", which was the medical term in those days for miscarriage. To me abortion meant I had a choice and that is something I would never have chosen. I grieved that I did not know what sex the baby was...don't know how that could help.

    Six months later, I became pregnant with one of the greatest joys of my life, my only daughter,
    Katie. We had only planned on having 2 children, so if I had brought that baby to term, I would be missing out on one of the greatest relationships of my life.

    May God comfort you and hold you & Brian in the palm of His hand. May He give you peace and rest knowing He is in control. There is still great and wondrous joy to be found in the days ahead.

    My love to you & Brian.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, I am truly sorry for your loss. There is nothing that I could possibly say to you to take the pain away but I wish I could! I will be praying for you and your family and I pray that the good Lord comforts you all at this very painful time in your life! May God bless u always and I'm so sorry!!

    ReplyDelete