Monday, November 8, 2010

The dentist...

It has been a few weeks since I blogged last. I have been trying to manage my time better, and blogging just hasn't made the cut. I'm going to try to update this thing soon...maybe. I just wanted to take the time to write about my daughters first trip to the dentist! She is extremely shy, and scared of pretty much anyone she doesn't know, so I thought a trip to the dentist would be horrible for us both. She is 4, and I've put it off for 2 years now because I didn't think either of us was ready. She proved me wrong today, big time. She was such a big girl! As I sat and watched her be brave, I was secretly holding back tears. She has grown up so much lately, and moments like that make me realize that time passes too quickly. The office was really neat, VERY kid friendly. She had a woman hygienist, which was awesome.
First they did her x-rays.

Then they got her ready to clean her teeth. She had to wear sunglasses because of the bright light they use. This part I was really nervous about. This was most definitely out of her comfort zone, but she did so great. This is when I was fighting back tears.


After all of that, the dentist came in. It was a man. Kaylee froze as soon as he walked in. He wanted her to lay down again so he could check her teeth out. I was on one side holding her hand, and the hygienist was holding the other hand. I could see tears starting to well up in her eyes behind the big purple glasses, but she fought them back. After a minute, she finally opened her mouth for him. He wanted her to bite down, but she wasn't going for that. He said her teeth look great, and her x-rays were good. No cavities!!
After that ordeal, we decided to go eat lunch with Brian. She told her Daddy that she was scared of the dentist because he looked like a bear! Holding back laughter, I asked her why she thought that, and she informed me that it was because he had facial hair, just like bears do! Apparently, that is scary to her! (Note to all of you men who try to get on her good side: Try shaving. lol) Of course, I think it is more than that, but that's the reason she gave for being so scared. She also told him that when they did the x-rays, it hurt, and she wanted to cry a little bit. But, she didn't, because she is a big girl! The dentist gave her a tooth brush, flosser, some toothpaste, and told her to come back in 6 months! We survived it!! 
P.S. I'd like to add that her pants are at least an inch or two too short. I tried to get her to change them before we left the house, but she wanted to wear them. Needless to say, they WILL disappear after I wash them next. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment