Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Parenting

These past few weeks have been tough for me as a Mom. My daughter Kaylee is 4, and seems to be going through some sort of testing phase. At least thats what I hope it is, and I hope it soon passes. She knows the rules, and knows the consequences. She is very intelligent, and knows about discipline. She understands that God tells her to obey her parents, and that God has told us parents to raise our children with discipline and in the fear of the Lord. Everytime that she disobeys me, it is a test of my obedience to God. If there is one thing I know, its that a child will never learn with inconsistent discipline. This makes my job even harder. This means that if I say sit on your bed and don't get up, I have to punish her everytime she gets up. It doesn't matter how high that number goes, I must discipline her. If I dont, I am allowing her to disobey me, and in turn, allowing her to disobey God. I know that the work I am putting in will pay off in the long run, but sometimes it gets hard. A good friend of mine shared a scripture with me last night that reminded me not to grow weary. Maybe it will help you too. It was Galations 6:9, "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." It also helps to have people around who believe in strong, consistent, biblical discipline. I don't want to base my discipline on "because I said so", I want to base my discipline on "because God said so". I pray that God continues to sanctify me and make me a good role model for my children, and that as I teach them the gospel, that God would change their hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment