Sunday, September 12, 2010

Contentment

I have been struggling this week with being content. We learn in scripture that there is great gain in godliness with contentment (1 Timothy 6:6), and that we should be content in whatever situation we are in (Philippians 4:11). Hebrews 13:5 says "Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” I've struggled with this off and on, but have really had a hard time this week. We have always been taken care of, and I would say that it is even in abundance. When I consider what they have in other countries, I live like a queen. I have the ability to stay home and raise my children, which seems to be a luxury these days. I've got a roof over my head, 2 paid for vehicles, and eat good food every night. I'd say I have it really great. But somehow, my flesh says it isn't enough. I want more. I want to shop for things I don't really need. My treasure is to be in heaven, not on this earth. As I fight this desire for more earthly gain, I rest in the arms of my dear Savior who promised to carry me through to perfection. I'm thankful for time like these, because they are constant reminders that I am a great sinner in need of a Savior, and I find just that at the foot of the cross. I was dead in my trespasses, but I was made alive in Christ, and called to walk in newness of life with him. I no longer excuse, or ignore this sin in my life, but I repent and seek Christ.
"Two things I ask of you;
deny them not to me before I die:
Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
give me neither poverty nor riches;
feed me with the food that is needful for me,
lest I be full and deny you
and say, “Who is the Lord?”
or lest I be poor and steal
and profane the name of my God." -Proverbs 30:7-9
 
Lord, I pray that you would continue to convict me of this sin in my life, and that I would be faithful to repent and turn to you. Make me desire what you desire, and love what you love. Help me to truly believe that my treasure is not on this earth, but in the presence of Jesus Christ. Use me, Lord, to glorify your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment