Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Entertainment

A few months ago, we got rid of our cable. We didn't watch TV much, and it just seemed like a waste of money. With no TV, I found myself on the computer even more. I'd chat with friends that I don't normally get to talk to, or just waste time away being nosey on facebook. I became very convicted of the poor way that I spend my time. Every quiet moment I got, rather than pray or read my bible, I would log in and "catch up". It seems so easy for our culture to abuse entertainment. Many christian families spend more time on facebook, myspace, video games or TV than meditating on the word of God. I am very convicted about the example this sets for my children. They have been entrusted to me, and it is my responsibility to train them in godliness. I often evaluate myself by looking through my children's eyes. What do they see me doing? We all know that actions speak louder than words, so what is it that I'm showing them. By just my actions, who would they think my god is? I haven't really been on the computer much at all the past few days, and it has been a real eye opener. I pray that I would use my time to glorify God rather than satisfy my flesh. I long to teach my children, by example, how to be a good steward of the precious time God has given them. I'm thankful for a God who loves me, forgives me, and sanctifies me. I'm thankful for a savior who would bear my sin, and die a death on the cross that I deserve, so that I no longer live as a slave to sin. In Gods great mercy, he chose me, when I am so unworthy. I pray that my life reflects the grace God has shown me, and that I always bring glory to his name. I encourage all of my christian brothers and sisters to take a few days (2 or more) off from all entertainment (computer, TV, video games) and see how dependent you have become on these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment