Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A weekend get away...

This past Sunday morning, we left for Fredericksburg, TX, and stayed until Tuesday. It was a very nice little get away. It has been about a year since we did that. We can't really take a full week vacation somewhere yet because we would need to save longer and with me watching kids, it is kind of impossible. So, we have to settle for these weekend trips to refresh us. Maybe next year we can save and take a full vacation. Then again, with a new baby, it may just be impossible again lol. Anyways, on to the trip...
When we arrived Sunday, we stopped at walmart to get some food that we would be eating over the weekend. We got some chips and hot dogs and burgers, stuff of that sort. Then we went to the hotel and ate lunch at the picnic tables while we waited for check in time. After that, we checked in, unloaded all our stuff, and started our adventures. We drove around a little bit, and checked out some cabins Brian wants to go stay in. It was really a nice area, and while we were there we even saw a deer running around! We went to the Pacific War Museum, and it was really neat, and really big! They give you a 2 day pass, because it can take so long to get through it. We didn't see everything because it was starting to get late and we needed to get dinner. So for dinner we went to eat at Der Lindenbaum, an authentic German food restaurant. It was so...GOOD! Brian didn't like his meal as much, but he just got a sausage plate. He said that he could have just eaten that at home lol. I ate Wiener Schnitzel, which is pork lightly breaded and fried. It was possibly the best pork I had ever had. Dinner was good, until the check came. We don't usually carry a lot of cash. Brian's check are direct deposited, and there isn't usually a need for cash, so we just don't have any lol. Well, this restaurant didn't take visa. (I know, who doesn't take visa?!) So Brian had to go walking down the strip to find an ATM. One was broke, one only took chase cards. Finally, he had to drive down to the gas station to use their ATM. All the while, I am trying to occupy 2 tired kids, for 30 minutes! It was so embarrassing, but finally he returned, and we paid and left. We decided that after that fiasco, we would get ice cream and go to the wildlife tunnel and wait for the bats to come out. It is supposed to be around 3 million bats (according to the map) coming out of this tunnel. So we go to dairy queen and get Kaylee a blizzard. On the way to the tunnel, she took a bit of the blizzard that didn't go down well, and choked on it. Brian PANICS with choking, and of course, he was driving. He darts over to the side of the road, and jumps out of the car (without putting it in park) and helps her. Thankfully, I was there to put it in park. So off to the tunnel we go. We stood there about 15 minutes, and the man came and told us that the bats were coming out. Only, we could see anything! Apparently you need to be on the lower decks to be able to see. Oh well, at least we know for next time lol. So we went back to the hotel and showered and went to bed. The hotel only had a stand up shower, no bathtub, so we had to try to give the kids a shower with us. It didn't seem so hard on my part (because Kaylee is 4 and it shouldn't be a big deal) but it was hard. She freaked out and I had to fight with her the whole time. So we went to bed, and the kids woke up about 7 am! I was sure hoping to sleep in. So on Monday, we got up and went and got donuts. We drove out to Enchanted Rock and ate. It was a beautiful view. Fredericksburg is full of beautiful scenery. After that, we headed back to visit the Amish Market, which was so cool! They had lots of furniture, and beautiful wall decorations with scripture, and food. I could have spend a small fortune in there. I don't have a small fortune though, so I just bought a few things and left. We went to the hotel, got changed into our swimsuits, and headed to Garner state park. I had never been, so I was excited. It was so nice! We swam for a little bit (Brian and Kaylee longer than Bubba and I, the rocks really hurt my feed, and all I had was flip flops that wouldn't stay on). We decided to take a little walk around, and Bubba decided to poop on himself. That ended our trip lol. I forgot the little swimmers, and wasn't about to pay $10 for another package that I knew I wouldn't use. He had already gone potty that morning, and he usually only goes once a day, so I thought "he will be fine". Well, I was wrong. His floatie swimsuit was full of poop, and a HUGE mess to clean up. After we got him clean, we decided to head home. We went back to the hotel and changed back into our clothes and went to Lady Bird park and grilled burgers and played. We really enjoyed the sunset that night. It was a great time to spend quiet family time just relaxing and soaking up Gods beautiful environment. We drove around a little bit, went to Whitney street for a picture. We passed an art gallery that had a window display called "Selah", so I had to stop and get a picture for Vivian. We went back to the hotel, did the dreaded shower routine again, and went to bed. Tuesday morning, we got all packed up and ready to leave. Brian wanted to go to this Muffin Haus, it was so good! They had a table out front, so we sat outside and enjoyed the morning and our breakfast. We went to see Fort Martin (I think that was the name) and took some pictures. Then we headed to the Chocolat store, and got on the road home. We had been looking forward to homemade peach ice cream all weekend, so we stopped on the way out and got some. It was so good, I can't wait to have more!
I know this was a long post, but I wanted to document some of the memories before I forget. Pregnancy brain is getting the best of me lol.
Oh, and one more thing, I am SO proud of how well my son is doing on the potty. He had many accidents while we were gone (Mostly because we were on the road and unable to take him potty) but many times he stayed dry. He pottied almost every time we sat him on the potty, and he did really good last night. And today he has been dry all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment