Wednesday, March 9, 2011

18 week check up

Today I went back to the Dr. for my monthly check up. I was super excited about this appt because it had been so long since the last one, and I've been super nervous. Anyway, everything is good. Heartbeat was loud and clear, it was 147. The baby has really grown a lot, and I'm definitely feeling the effects of it. I am easily out of breath now, and if I eat too much the baby really makes me pay for it. I've gained 6 lbs, which makes me a whopping 116. ;) Still, the Dr said it was a bit too much. I hear this every pregnancy...and usually about this time. He told me I should lay off of the sweets and fried foods, which happen to be two of my favorite things right now! In the back of my head I was thinking, "Hmm, I planned on making fried pork chops for dinner". My blood sugar was also a little high. It was 136, and she said normal is 100 or below. It is probably because I had just eaten breakfast and drank a glass of cranberry grape juice. She didn't seem concerned about it, so I won't be either. I also opted out of the trisomy test today. That is the test where they check for down syndrome and other abnormalities. Whether the test were to come back positive or negative, my outcome remains the same, abortion is absolutely not an option. Children are a blessing, even if they aren't "perfect", whatever that is. It breaks my heart to think a mother could love her child any less due to an abnormality. Sure, I understand the huge task it is caring for a child with such great needs, but it is still your child. The Dr told me of a patient who had a baby with severe down syndrome. He said the child is around 7 now, and every time he sees the mom she asks why he didn't terminate the pregnancy. That just breaks my heart that a mother could look at her child and wish he/she wasn't there. My Dr doesn't terminate pregnancies anyway, but he told me of a Jewish group downtown that would terminate christian pregnancies. He also said there were a few Muslim Dr's down there that love to terminate christian pregnancies. Interesting, eh? Last, but certainly not least, he scheduled the ultrasound!! I will go in 2 weeks to, Lord willing, find out the sex of the baby!! I am SO excited to see the little munchkin! =) I'll also have my glucose test done the same day.
This picture isn't from today, but it is from Monday and will have to do. ;)

1 comment: